The following is a summary of the process that LEVNT use with our schools to facilitate strategic planning sessions. These are highly focused one-day or part-day workshops.
Form planning team: all school board/council plus 2-3 key staff members and/or school community leaders. Team of 12 is ideal
Confirm KEY STRATEGIC AREAS for the school and assign designated teams to each. Our suggested strategic areas are:
- Aims and core values
- Mission and ministry
- Enrolments and staffing
- Marketing and promotions
- Teams draft key statements for strategic area prior to workshop sessions.
- Workshop participants complete independent analysis of the school's operations.
- Team leader presents draft key statement explaining context and rationale.
- Analysis and refinement of key statements, using material from the first comparison exercise.
- Key statements endorsed by whole planning group.
- Develop associated action for the key statements (or implementation plan). Assign an action strategy (including responsibilities) and a time frame for each statement.
- Wider consultation with stakeholders and refinement of plan.
- Council officially adopt the plan.
- I1. Key statements reviewed and refined annually.
- Progress/outcomes updated regularly - at least twice a year.
- Strategic plan is the basis for reporting to board/council.