WALK MY WAY gives you the chance to join with people around Australia in a 26km walking challenge to and raise money to support refugee kids to go to school! If you can’t make it to any of the Walk locations, you can organise a Walk with your school, church, family and friends or walk solo! Each $26 you raise can help a refugee child go to school for a whole year! Click through to the full article for more information and resources.
What makes Walk My Way special?
- Each $26 you raise can help a refugee child go to school for a whole year!
- You walk through amazing Australian landscapes – from beaches to bush to bike tracks!
- You join with like-minded people for fellowship and fun.
- Your Walk can be a Pilgrimage of reflection, as you consider the journey of refugees around the world.
- Walk My Way is part of The GRACE Project, aiming to support 40,000 refugee children to go to school!
When you register for the Walk, you’ll automatically create a personal fundraising page to share with your family and friends. Your family, friends and colleagues can donate any amount they like to support you. Your supporters might like to choose $26 (or multiples of $26!) as a per kilometre incentive……which also happens to be $1 per child in an averaged size Australian class (compared to 90+ children per class in a refugee camp!)
Just $26 helps to provide children in refugee camps in Kenya and Djibouti
ALWS takes your support there through our LWF team (Lutheran World Federation) and the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees). (ALWS stands for Australian Lutheran World Service, the Lutheran Church of Australia’s Overseas Aid and Resettlement Agency).
WALK MY WAY is a unique opportunity to reflect on where we’ve come from, how blessed we’ve been, and help those who need us now. Step out to bring Love to Life!
Several resources for schools to use include:
- promo materials – posters, ppts, volunteer recruitment, etc
- refugee stories – we will add stories to this folder in the next week or so. Each PowerPoint will tell the story of the refugees featured in this artwork, painted by Sally Mattner and based on Matt 25:34-40.
- Adelaide 2019 video – to inspire involvement, plus news and stories post from the ALWS website www.alws.org.au
- To register
Australian Lutheran World Service
0425 854 476
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.alws.org.au | www.walkmyway.org.au
Reaching out in love … for justice!