The facilitation of strategic planning workshops is a service offered by LEVNT. We understand that people who volunteer to serve on school boards/councils are generally time poor and find it difficult to find extended periods of time to participate in strategic planning sessions.
With this in mind, we have designed a strategic planning model which we believe is very efficient with regard to the time required while still allowing genuine opportunity for the individual voices to be heard.
The following is a summary of the philosophical thinking behind the strategic planning model being used by LEVNT when we work with schools.
- It is intended that the Strategic Plan be a dynamic working document, rather than being created and forgotten or shelved.
- The Strategic Plan prescribes the priority tasks and projects for the principal to undertake in order to steer the school in the direction that the plan maps out.
- The Strategic Plan provides a (two-way) framework of accountability.
- On the one hand, the school board/council has every right to expect progress to be made on the designated tasks in accordance with the suggested time frame.
- The reverse accountability in some ways protects the principal from being challenged in relation to major strategic matters that are outside of the plan.
- The model requires regular refinement, at least annually. While the plan will always be projecting 3-5 years ahead, we strongly discourage setting the plan for a fixed time frame – eg 2017 – 2021. Once the basic model is in place the annual review need not be a major time-consuming exercise.
Please contact our office if you would like to discuss some options for future directions planning.